If you are unsure whether or not you qualify for an RC account or what arrangements your school or department has with FAS Research Computing, this document may help you sort out these questions before requesting an account. If you then wish to proceed, click the following link to proceed to the account request tool.
Cluster access is intended only for legitimate purposes which benefit research at Harvard University. Access must be authorized by the faculty or management of the FAS and our partners, and by the staff of Research Computing. Account access should only be granted for the purposes necessary to accomplish the goals of Harvard University and its research projects. All active FAS RC account holders are subscribed to our notifications mailing list which is a requirement for all users. Cluster usage and additional resources may be subject to charges to the PI, school, or department. See our billing FAQ.
All account holders, whether Harvard affiliates or outside collaborators agree to be held accountable by the Harvard University Electronic Access and Information Security polices: http://huit.harvard.edu/information-technology-policies
In addition, researchers should make themselves familiar with the university research policies maintained by the Provost's Office.
When requesting FACULTY status during sign-up, you must have a Harvard faculty appointment or your request may be rejected. Faculty accounts have additional controls and privileges and are provided only to those with faculty appointments. If you have a non-faculty appointment but with PI rights, you should select the job title closest to your appointment (STAFF, POSTDOC / RESEARCHER], etc.) Once your account is created, you can contact us about any additional privileges you might need.
If you are faculty member at another university collaborating with a Harvard PI, please choose EXTERNAL.
If you are student or researcher at another university or company collaborating with a Harvard PI, please choose EXTERNAL.
- FAS - Research Computing is primarily funded by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. As such, active FAS affiliates (faculty, staff, researchers, post-docs, etc.) qualify for an RC account and general cluster use. FAS manages the cost, so there is no cost to their department for access. Additional dedicated storage, hardware or software may incur charges.
- SEAS - Research Computing has an arrangement with the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences to provide high performance computing resources and accounts for many of their researchers and classes. Additional dedicated storage, hardware or software may incur charges.
- HCSPH - Research Computing has an arrangement with the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health to provide cluster access. Accounts for faculty, staff, researchers and other appointed user are billed to HCSPH. For more details and account sign-up instructions, please see our dedicated HCSPH overview and Q&A pages.
- HBS - Faculty members from The Harvard Business School should first contact HBS computing to determine your needs and before signing up.
- HMS - The Harvard Medical School maintains its own cluster (Orchestra). You can find more information from them at: https://rc.hms.harvard.edu/#orchestra. HMS faculty who wish to establish a lab group on the FAS cluster can sign up for an account and we will be in touch to discuss access and billing.
- HKS/GSD/Radcliffe/Law - Faculty from other schools within Harvard who wish to establish a lab group on the FAS cluster can sign up for an account and we will be in touch to discuss access and billing.
- SAO/Smithsonian - At this time we cannot support or provide access for Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO) staff and researchers. If and when we have an agreement and billing path, we will notify the SAO leadership.
- OTHER - See our Other Institutions page for additional information
You will be asked to select a Job Title during signup. Your selection should match your appointment or employment type no matter your intended use.
- STAFF - You are an employee of Harvard. This may include some special appointments. If you are paid by Harvard and are not a Postdoc/Researcher or Faculty member, this is likely the right choice for you. Lecturers and visiting scholars or outside faculty who are on a term appointment can also use this designation.
- UNDERGRAD - You are an enrolled undergraduate working under a PI who belongs to one of the Affiliations above and who will approve/sponsor your account.
- GRAD STUDENT - You are an enrolled graduate student working under a PI who belongs to one of the Affiliations above and who will approve/sponsor your account.
- POSTDOC / RESEARCHER - Your are a researcher (post-doctoral or a researcher working in a similar capacity) under a PI who belongs to one of the Affiliations above and who will approve/sponsor your account.
- FACULTY - You are an appointed Harvard faculty member. Faculty accounts have additional controls and privileges and are provided only to those with faculty appointments. PLEASE NOTE: Faculty signups require vetting and will take longer to process.
- EXTERNAL - You are an external collaborator working under a Harvard group or PI who belongs to one of the Affiliations above and who will approve/sponsor your account.
* NOTE for non-faculty PIs - If you have PI rights but do not hold a Faculty appointment (John Harvard Fellows, for example), please do not attempt to sign up as Faculty. Please choose the job title that best mirrors your appointment/job/enrollment and a sponsor in your department (If no one appropriate is available, please contact us for further guidance).
Once you have an account, please contact us to inform us of your PI rights and any additional needs.
Except for External Collaborators, an active appointment or enrollment with Harvard University is required for access to Research Computing resources. Each account must be tied to an individual and it is expected that when that individual no longer has need of the account, the lab or PI responsible for sponsoring their account will notify us of their leaving. This is especially important if the account incurs a charge (billing applies until we are notified to close an account) or has access to sensitive research data. If it is necessary to extend a user's access beyond their appointment/enrollment, accommodations can be made with PI/faculty approval.
An exception can be made in some cases to allow collaborators access to Research Computing resources and/or lab data. As with all accounts, PI/faculty approval is required. Please contact email@example.com for any questions surrounding collaborator access.
Please note: Sharing of accounts is not allowed and in direct violation of security policies. Shared accounts are subject to being immediately disabled and the PI/faculty member sponsoring the account notified.