MGHPCC (Holyoke) Annual Power Shutdown June 5-8, 2023 (multi-day)
The annual MGHPCC data center power shutdown will occur June 5th-8th, 2023
Please follow our status page for status and updates during the down-time:
- Power-down of the cluster will begin at 8am on June 5th, 2023
- Pre-powerout tasks will be completed that day
- Power will be out that night and through the following day, June 6th
- Maintenance to FASRC infrastructure will occur on June 7th
- Power-up and cleanup June 8th, ETA to return to full service by 5 pm June 8th
While this outage impacts all services and resources in the MGHPCC/Holyoke data center, please be aware that this can have a knock-on effect for some Boston services as well.
A cluster-wide OS upgrade to Rocky Linux and many changes to software will take place during this downtime.
This will have an effect on ALL users and labs.
Please see this post for general information on those changes: 2023 MGHPCC downtime, and major OS and software changes
LOGIN & VDI
Boston and Holyoke login nodes, and VDI will be unavailable for the duration of the downtime.
All cluster jobs will be stopped prior to the downtime and will not be requeued.
Office hours will not be held on Wednesday June 7th.
BOSTON DATA CENTER
Boston storage may be affected on June 7th.
Samba shares (rcsmb) hosted in Boston may periodically be affected on the 7th.
Any additional Boston outages will be noted here closer to the date.
- OS upgrade to Rocky Linux (info) across cluster
- Integration of Spack software package manager (info)
- Removal of old modules (info)
- InfiniBand and UFM network upgrades
- Public partition time limit change to 3 days
- Various BIOS and OBM updates
- Various storage firmware upgrades
- InfiniBand and other network firmware upgrades
- Various OS and security upgrades to FASRC services